Success is achieved by those who not only have an intent to succeed, but live intentionally every day to make it a reality. Yeah, yeah, we’ve all been over-dosed on the “just visualize it and it will happen” new age philosophy of manifestation. But, I’m here to shout it out to the rooftops that if you stop at visualization, you will not succeed. Merely sitting in an armchair visualizing your dream as a reality devoid of taking action, just won’t get you where you want to be. You must get up out of that armchair, hold that positive vision in your mind’s eye, head out your front door and live out each day by taking intentional action on everything that you can possibly do to realize your vision.
Wikipedia defines intention as: A mental state that represents a commitment to carrying out an action or actions in the future. Intention involves mental activities such as planning and forethought. My point here, being that, if there is no follow through on your mental commitment to take action, then the chain to success becomes broken.
“There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called Yesterday and the other is called Tomorrow. Today is the right day to Love, Believe, Do and mostly Live”
Living intentionally is how you become a master at crafting and attaining the life you desire. If you aren’t intentionally living your life, you are letting life live you, and that won’t get what you want. It’s the difference between being the victor of circumstances or the victim of circumstances. What will you choose?
Here Are the Top 6 Ways to Live Each Day with the Intention to Succeed:
- Take Control: Run your day, don’t let the day or others run you. Someone else’s emergency, is not your emergency. Most “emergencies” are not emergencies. Keep calm, use rational judgement in deciding if, and when you need to become involved.
- Take Personal Responsibility: Don’t allow yourself to fall into old bad habits. Self-correct immediately if you find yourself slipping. Do not rationalize a slip with deluding yourself by believing: “It’s just one day, nothing bad will happen”.
- Don’t Wing it: Have a plan for your day and prepare for that interview, speech, presentation or meeting.
- Seize Each Day: Act as if today is the last day you’ll ever have the opportunity to succeed. Don’t take any day for granted. Each day is a precious gift waiting to be received.
- Be Fearless: Be bold. Be different. Lead and don’t follow. Live out loud the truth of who you are.
- Use Self-Restraint: Avoid engaging in distractions and in taking action on non-essentials, which are those things that do not directly relate to the accomplishment of your daily prioritized action plan.
Life can change in a blink of an eye. I have a saying: “count to one, and your life has changed forever”. Live each day intentionally as if it’s your last day to take action on having the life you aspire to have tomorrow. In so doing, whatever may come tomorrow, you will have developed the habits and character traits of a champion and will succeed no matter what is or isn’t happening in life and the world around you.
In Closing My Shocking Confession: One day I’m prepped and ready to run both the LA and Boston Marathons. Then, BAM, the very next day, I was diagnosed with life-threatening cancer. The doctors told me I could not run Boston because being on a plane too far away from a hospital could jeopardize my life. I thought about what they told me. Then, I went on to run both marathons. I was strong, I had prepared, I KNEW within me that I would be ok and was determined not to succumb to fear or doing something that was going to rob me of attaining the goal that I had worked so hard to achieve. The “standard” protocol wasn’t going to become my standard. I intentionally lived each marathon day, and every day thereafter, fearlessly living my truth, pursuing my goals and honoring my belief that you don’t need to follow the “norm” to succeed. I have my finishers medals and I’m alive, well and happy.
You work hard every day to achieve your goals, but you worry if what you’re doing is going to work out. Why? Because you can’t see any tangible results while amid all the effort you’re putting out. You are not alone! We all face this very common concern.
Wouldn’t it be awesome if there was a way to gauge if what you’re doing each day is working towards the attainment of your goals and the achievement of the successful life that you desire? Guess what? There is a way!
I’ve learned through decades of being a serial entrepreneur that if you rigorously discipline yourself to do Six specific things daily, you’ll be assured to attain the success that you are working so very hard to achieve, regardless if you’re seeing tangible results on any given day.
“Discipline is choosing between what you want now, and what you want most.”— Abraham Lincoln
Below is the Daily Six Point Checklist. By doing them each day, will lead you to the success you want tomorrow.
1. Focused Mind Control: Directing your thoughts only on what you want and not on what you don’t want or on what doesn’t require your attention. Staying focused by not allowing distractions.
2. Impulse Control: Delaying gratification by using self-discipline not to take immediate action on inconsequential things that interrupt your work flow or do not directly benefit the advancement of your goals.
3. Emotional Control: Making decisions and taking actions only when in a rational, calm and balanced state of mind. Act don’t react.
4. Rational Analysis: Performing objective fact finding and using rational, logical thinking when making decisions. Keeping emotions out of the process.
5. Minimalism: Keeping it simple by not engaging in or pursuing non-essentials (any person, behavior or thing that does not support the advancement of your goal).
6. Compassion Action: Not engaging in anything that hurts yourself or another human being.
At the end of the day, each one of us has within us the power of personal choice to do the things that serve to advance us or distance us from the success that we wish to achieve.
In Closing My Shocking Confession: I was young and wanted it all! I didn’t mind working really, really hard to get it. The 12 hour days to get ahead was no-problem for me. I was killing it at work putting in the hours, effort and also helping others to get ahead too. But, why then, I was wondering to myself, was I not any closer to my ultimate goal? The answer didn’t come in a soft and gentle way. It was one of those hard lessons. I hit bottom on all the overdoing…especially over doing the one thing I was keeping secret. The cocaine. I justified it because it helped me work the long hours. I justified it in 100 ways. Until that one day when I realized I no longer controlled it, but it controlled me. I was hurting my own self and hurting those around me as well by not really “being all there”. I got and stayed sober and learned a very important life lesson that I carry with me each and every day. A successful day is one in which, when you put your head on the pillow at night, you can honestly say that you haven’t hurt yourself or another person that day.
We live in an era of express everything. Mail, shopping, movies, check-out, check in, food, coffee…give it to me quick, quick, quick. The world is moving at a faster and faster pace. Attaining anything that one wants keeps getting faster and easier. However, for most people, there is that one elusive thing that they badly want more quickly, but they can’t seem to attain fast enough. That one thing is SUCCESS.
I’m here to share a little-known secret how you can achieve express success. If you use this one simple tool, you will see magic, miracles and success begin to flow quickly into your life.
The secret to express success is in using your life as a platform for the expression of your Master Goal. Yes, I know, blah, blah, blah. You’re thinking…. “here we go another generic goal setting blog blurb”. But, hold on. It isn’t that kinda thing. This is the singular thing that the ultra-successful used to see their inventions, grace -inspired visions, and dreams become reality. Mark Zuckerberg’s Master Goal was to “make the world more open and create open information flow for people”.
And, the Master Goal principle is that thing which I, myself, used to achieve the life of my dreams.
“A burning desire that possesses your heart and mind so completely that it literally goads you into achieving.” Napoleon Hill, Think and Grow Rich
Answer These 6 Questions to Discover Your Master Goal and Start Expressing Your Success:
1. The #1 thing in life that continually excites me the most is:
2. If I could instantly become or achieve anything I wanted, it would be this:
3. The single most important thing that I can accomplish during my lifetime is:
4. The most important thing in life is to become:
5. The one intangible thing that my mind involuntarily, consistently and relentlessly thinks about achieving in my life is:
6. The one thing I’m always instinctually and involuntarily driven to do is:
Express success is achieved by those who have an unrelenting burning desire to fulfill their destiny. The way to uncover and unleash your destiny is to determine your Master Goal and then live your life as a platform for the expression of that goal.
In Closing My Shocking Confession: As a young teen, I didn’t know what I wanted to be “when I grew up”. I was stressed out about it because all my friends already knew! One wanted to be a doctor, another a dentist. I DID NOT KNOW. I thought something was wrong with me that I didn’t know where I was going. But, I did have one unrelenting drive: To read, study and learn about those people who had dedicated their lives to making a positive impact in the world. I thought about becoming a missionary. But, I knew I had to earn money to support myself. I decided that no matter what I did “for a living”, I’d make being of service my #1 priority. As a young adult, I held many jobs, but remained relentless about living out my Master Goal. Helping others achieve success reigned supreme over making a profit–no matter what. I became a self-made millionaire by 40 making it possible for me to devote 100% of my time helping people achieve mental, physical, financial and spiritual success.
Business plans, budgets, goal setting, short-term and long-term objectives O’ My!
We’ve been there and done that. And yet, why, armed with a “functional” success strategy in hand, do so many fail to attain their desired outcomes on time or at all?
I figured out the hard way what my own strategy was missing and now I have the privilege of paying it forward to you. I sincerely hope that you will give it a try. It’s the 1 thing that turned my own success strategy on its head, turned me around and propelled me into rapidly achieving wealth and well-being.
Here’s the secret…it doesn’t start with conducting a market analysis. Instead, it starts with conducting a simple self-analysis to determine just how prepared you are to achieve success. I know, “self-analysis” sounds awfully NOT FUN. But, if I guaranteed you that by answering 1 question you’d be handed the single most important piece of information you’d need to achieve success in all areas or your life, I’d bet you’d jump at the opportunity.
“Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised.” American Proverb
You see, highly successful people are highly functioning. And, to be highly functioning one needs to know (just like knowing market barriers to entry) what one’s own personal barrier to entry is. We all have a predominate fault. That outstanding character trait that asserts itself into every aspect of our lives. But, don’t worry, because our biggest fault exists for the singular positive purpose of becoming our biggest asset. Arming yourself with the knowledge and a strategy for having power over it rather than it over you, becomes your most effective strategy for success.
What’s your predominate fault? Before you answer, let me give you a list of some common ones:
2. Negative Thinking
Ok, now go ahead and answer the question. Now that you’ve identified it, what’s the next step to convert it to your biggest strength to achieve maximum success in minimum time?
Follow These 5 Steps to Convert Your #1 Fault into your #1 Asset & Strategy for Achieving Success:
1. Strive Every Day to Make Progress. An earnest and conscious effort is key to weakening, conquering and converting it into your biggest strength.
2. Pray. Ask your supreme power source, higher power, or God to remove it for the highest good of all concerned.
3. Meditate for Clarity. Before you start your meditation, ask the question: What could I be doing differently to be more constructive?
4. Don’t Quit. When it rears its head (and it will), pick yourself up and start again.
5. Get a Guide. Find a mentor, coach, sponsor or join a support group. Connect and utilize the experience, strength and guidance of those who have succeeded in overcoming the same predominate fault.
Once you become the master over your predominate fault, you become the master of your life. Now, that’s a masterful success strategy!
In Closing My Shocking Confession:
I have many faults (not so shocking confession LOL). But, seriously, the predominate fault I had was one I falsely believed was my biggest strength. Talk about denial. Reality smacked me in the face when it became crystal clear that, for the 1st time in my life, I wasn’t going to be able to accomplish a goal I’d set for myself. Time and time again I failed. Being a determined achiever, I had to find a way to succeed at overturning this defeat. To succeed, I had to face my predominate fault and then take an action to overcome it. I was terrified I tell you! But, I felt the fear and did it anyway. Gulp. Wanna know what my biggest fear/PF was? Asking for help. I thought it meant I was weak and a loser. Little did I know that asking for help shows great character strength. Great leaders don’t go it alone. They seek out and get the best help they can find. I finally asked for help from someone who had overcome what I was struggling with and had achieved success as a result. Turns out that using my self-will to not ask for help was self-defeating in my quest to achieve success. I faced my fault and fear, got help and finally succeeded in conquering the self-defeating behavior. Today is my 28th CA birthday. 28 years free from cocaine addiction. Each, and every day, I remind myself that I do not have to go it alone. Nobody who is successful, achieves it on their own.
In the tech world of computers, a “timed out” status refers to a connection being cancelled if an expected input is not received after a specified time. “Timed out” may be techy terminology, but it sure does have real time application to the business of how to attain maximum success in minimum time.
There isn’t anything high tech about how to attain the success you want in minimum time. There exists a simple set of basic human behaviors that can short-cut your time to success and prevent you from having to experience the dreaded “timed out” status and then having to go through the “fix connection” hassle which, as you know, often does not solve the problem and causes a lot of stress and lost time.
What I’m getting at is something that as an entrepreneur and success coach I personally encounter and witness all too frequently; people seeking opportunity who do not follow through. Failure to follow through in a timely manner, which consequently, results in a lost opportunity. They’ve literally, timed themselves out of success. The ultra-successful do not wait for those who delay. They keep moving forward no matter what. In the space of time that a connection has gone cold; i.e., where expected input not received in a promised or reasonable time frame, the connection is dropped.
It’s plain to see how just one connection alone timed out can cause delay to one’s own success, let alone where one is in the habit of not following up or through in a timely manner.
“You will find the key to success under the alarm clock.” Benjamin Franklin
Here’s How to Short Cut Your Way to Success and Avert Timed Out Success
1. Show up on time. No, there really isn’t a socially acceptable fudge factor.
2. Express enthusiasm. Connection gets chilly where there’s no live wire.
3. Don’t just show up on time, but also deliver what was promised. Repeated multiple connections to deliver will result in a lost connection.
4. Make the connection process and delivery of goods and services promised as easy on your prospect as possible.
5. Be consistent. Don’t be hot one minute and cold the next. Avoid going dark (silent) then out of the blue start bombarding with messages.
6. Listen more than speak.
7. Be realistic in the pursuit of your connections. Pursue connections that provide mutual benefit, common interest and matching objectives.
8. Be Truthful in all your communications and representations.
Lastly, if you’ve lost that loving feeling for the work that you are doing, then it’s time to take a constructive time out. Asses if you can restore your own connection to it or if it’s time to end that connection and find a new love connection.
In closing my shocking confession: A person came to me seeking a large amount of JV Money for their high-profile project. This person exhibited readiness, willingness, financial preparedness and an urgency to get the deal done quickly. I was impressed by their follow through. They were on top of it all the time…that is to say…until mid-deal. Suddenly, and after I secured a commitment for a large amount of capital beyond what they thought possible, he went dark. Zero communication—via any mode of contact. I was worried about him. I thought for sure he must have had an accident of some kind. So, there I am, money in hand, and I’m out in nowhere land. It was hard to believe that after all the time, energy and expense he put into the deal, he would just vanish. But, that’s what happened. Months later, I get a phone call asking if the deal was still on the table. My answer: NO. Shortly thereafter, a colleague of mine told me he had experienced the same thing with this entrepreneur. Word got out. Nobody will touch him now.